Philips Respironics Threshold IMT
Threshold IMT provides consistent and specific pressure for inspiratory muscle strength and endurance training, regardless of how quickly or slowly patients breathe. This device incorporates a flow-independent one-way valve to ensure consistent resistance and features an adjustable specific pressure setting (in cm H20) to be set by a healthcare professional. When patients inhale through Threshold IMT, a spring-loaded valve provides a resistance that exercises respiratory muscles through conditioning.
- Flow-independent one-way valve
- Constant pressure (regardless of patient’s airflow) eliminates the need for a pressure indicator
- Easy to set, truly adjustable pressure (2 cm H2O increments)
- Effective therapy when held in any position
- Can be used with mouthpiece or mask
- Easy to clean
- Made of durable, high-impact acrylic
- Increases respiratory muscle strength 1
- Increases respiratory muscle endurance 1
- Increases exercise tolerance 1
Reference: 1. Larson JL, Kim MJ, Sharp JT, Larson DA: Inspiratory muscle training with a pressure threshold breathing device in patients with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (abstract). Am Rev Resp Dis1986;133:A100.